The first lighthouse was built on North Island, SC in 1801 and was about 72 feet in total height. The tower was constructed of cypress wood and in 1806, the tower was blown down by gale force winds.
The current Georgetown Lighthouse was built in 1812 and stands 87 feet in height. After several renovations over the years, the lighthouse was fitted with a fourth-order Fresnel lens. The tower has withstood many hurricanes and even damage during the Civil War. The lighthouse is one of the oldest in the Southeast and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The tower is still on active duty each night, marking the entrance to Winyah Bay by producing a white flash every fifteen seconds.
The best way to view the lighthouse is by taking the "Shelling and Lighthouse Cruise" from Georgetown. The cruise takes about 3 hours and takes you out to North Island for a great opportunity to collect lots of beautiful shells. However, the cruise does not actually stop at the lighthouse, but does pass by close enough to take great pictures. The reason the cruise doesn't stop there is the lighthouse is still operated by the Coast Guard and is on private property. For more information, Call 1-(800)-705-9063.